“Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them in an unstoppable manner.” ~Les Brown
“You need a plan to build a house. To build a life, it is even more important to have a plan or goal.” ~Zig Ziglar
Do you have goals? Are there life-changing things you want to accomplish relating to your personal development, health, career, finances, and family? Or even just fun travel or lifestyle goals you’ve been dreaming to do forever?
If you downloaded this app, you probably do. Many people go around thinking or talking about all the things they want to accomplish. Here is the reality… most goals that are set don’t get accomplished. If you’ve set goals or had New Year’s Resolutions in the past, you probably know what I’m talking about.
You may or may not have heard of SMART goals before. Either way, this app goes way beyond just helping you make sure your goals meet the SMART criteria, it actually helps you stay committed and accomplish them.
Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely.
“What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail?” ~ Paul J. Meyer
SMART Goals is a proven method of setting goals that prevents them from becoming like most goals- things you wish that you did. You can attain most any goal you set if you make sure they meet these 5 criteria:
General goals like “I want to lose weight” or “I want to travel the world someday” almost NEVER get accomplished. By making your goals specific, expectations are clear and you know exactly what to focus on.
If you have tried to accomplish a goal in one GIANT step, you probably failed because success doesn’t work like that. Goals get accomplished over time in small, measurable progress. Break down your goal into Milestones- tasks, amounts, numbers, time… or anything that you can measure, and track your results that way.
Humans are procrastinators… we were born that way. We need the urgency of deadlines and timeframes to get things done. Add time to your goal and milestones: what needs to be accomplished today? This week? This month? That way you don’t fall into the trap of “I’ll just accomplish that goal later” (which actually means NEVER).
Many people set themselves up for failure from the start, either because their goals are too far-fetched and unrealistic, or because they are way too easy. Set your aim high and make sure it’s a challenge, but give yourself a REALITY CHECK – is this goal actually attainable?
Goals require effort and commitment. At the point in the process when accomplishing your goal becomes tough, you will ask yourself, “Does this goal really matter to me?” The answer better be YES and you better have a good reason! Many people set goals that sound good in theory or look good on paper, but if there is no real internal motivation and desire to achieve it, you’ll probably fail.
Using This App: An Overview
Create a New SMART Goal:
When you create a New Goal using this app, it will walk you through the SMART process step-by-step. If you need extra advice for each step or want to see samples, click the “?” button on each page.
- Specific – Name your goal.
- Measurable – Set Milestones and when exactly they need to be accomplished.
- Timely – Set notifications that will be sent to your phone on the day and time the Milestone is due, and you will have to respond YES or NO.
- Attainable – Reality check and challenge assessment.
- Relevant – Lastly, why is this goal important to you?
Setting the goal and making it SMART is only the start. Now that you have a goal, you actually have to do the work and stay committed. Here’s how the app will help with that:
- Alerts – Set notifications that you will have to report too. If you succeed, great job! If not, it’s time for another reality check.
- Calendar – The in-app calendar will help you track your upcoming Milestone dates and visualize what’s coming up and what needs to be done. Also, SYNC your calendar with your iCal so you can track your goals outside of this app.
- Stats – Track yourself over time. Set a goal for your goals.
- Share – Share your goal with your Facebook friends, Twitter friends, or friends and family via email. The more people that know about your goal, the more people that can help hold you accountable, and the more likely you will hold yourself accountable.
A Closing Thought
“There is no happiness except in knowing that we have accomplished something.” ~Henry Ford
“Effort only releases its reward after a person refuses to quit.” ~Napoleon HIll
Go after your craziest dreams and goals, and until you reach them…
Don’t give up.